You’ve decided to hire more Women in Tech… Now what? I’ve rounded up my favorite tools and resources for recruiting and retaining diverse candidates.
Tools for Diversity Sourcing & Removing Unconscious Bias:
- Diversity Sourcing: Boolean Search Strings for LinkedIn — Some “starter” queries for Boolean search strings for diversity sourcing on LinkedIn
- Managing Bias — A suite of videos and resources released by Facebook around unconscious bias, addressing job postings and interviews, as well as on-the-job interactions.
- NPM’s Guidelines for writing job posts for diversity — Short and sweet job description guideline, with link to an open source repo of former job descriptions.
- Textio — Easy-to-use platform for optimizing job descriptions by uncovering key phrases and unconscious gender bias.
Specialized Recruitment & Consulting Firms:
- Awesome Co - Surfaces diverse talent for tech companies. [New York City]
- Blendoor - Mobile job matching app that hides candidate name and photo to circumvent unconscious bias and facilitate diversity recruiting in tech companies.
- ChickTech Jobs - Job board that helps companies find qualified female applicants to build diverse technical teams.
- Paradigm - Has helped companies like Slack and Airbnb identify strategies to more effectively attract, hire, develop, and retain a diverse workforce.
- Power To Fly - Recruitment firm specializing in remote jobs for women in tech. [Global]
- Savvy - Recruitment service for motivated women (apx. 40% currently in STEM). Only works with companies focused on equal hiring, promotion and pay initiatives.
- Tech Ladies — Connecting its community of 20,000+ women in tech with the best jobs and opportunities in tech. [Global]
Women’s Tech Communities:
- Chicago Women Developers - Community of women who love to code or want to learn [Chicago]
- Ladies Who Code - Brings the brightest female minds together to code, talk tech, share ideas and innovate via global meetups & conferences [Global]
- Latinas in Computing - Community created by and for the Latinas in computing
- Lesbians Who Tech - Community of queer women in & around tech (and the people who love them)
- Linuxchix - Network of women working in Linux around the world. Includes Chicas Linux, a chapter devoted to supporting Spanish-speaking women in Linux. [Global]
- NY Tech Women - Organizes educational and social events for 500+ female technologists [New York City]
- NY Women In Tech - Organizes networking and social events for women in tech [New York City]
- NYC Tech Ladies - Organizes monthly meetups and an active online community of 1000 women in tech [New York City]
- Systers - One of the world’s largest email communities of technical women in computing [Global]
- Women’s Coding Collective - Community of women who create for the web [Boston, Global]
- Women in Machine LearningNetwork of female computer scientists in machine learning [Global]
- Women in Tech - Membership organization for women in tech [Global]
- Women Who Tech - Brings together 2800+ talented and renowned women breaking new ground in technology who use their tech savvy skills to transform the world and inspire change [Global]
Lists of Top Women in Tech:
Tactics for Recruiting & Retaining Diverse Candidates:
- The CEO’s Guide To Building Diverse Teams (And Keeping Them That Way), Amy Sample Ward, FastCompany — How to take advantage of the diverse staff you’ve hired with every project
Thank you to Allyson Kapin and the wonderful community of Women Who Tech for introducing me to several of these resources.